190322_GMA_WTennisvOleMiss0012.jpg

Georgia player Elena Christofi hits the ball during a tennis match against Mississippi at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex on Friday, March 22, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. Georgia is ranked second in the nation and is the last unbeaten team in the Southeastern Conference. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The Georgia women’s tennis team defeated the seventh-ranked Vanderbilt Commodores 4-1 on Sunday at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Tennis Courts in Athens.

The win completes a perfect regular season for the Bulldogs as they head into the SEC tournament this week in College Station with a 21-0 record. It’s the second undefeated regular season in program history and the first since 2002.

“Anytime you go undefeated in the regular season it’s special,” head coach Jeff Wallace said. “It’s a special group and a special team.”

The clinch in the match came when Lourdes Carle defeated Christina Rosca 6-3, 7-6 after a long tiebreaker on court three. The clinch was Carle’s second of the weekend.

“[The tiebreaker] was so long,” Carle said. “I had chances at 5-3 up but during the tiebreak I was just trying to focus myself, play my game, and do my best.”

Katarina Jokic, the nation’s top-ranked player, defeated Georgia Drummy 6-4, 6-4 on court one. It is Jokic’s first singles match that did not end unfinished since March 22 against Ole Miss.

“We played a really good team and everyone was super excited to play them and win the SEC without losing a match,” Jokic said. “I was really focused today, I was just thinking about the very next point and doing my best to perform well.”

Georgia’s other points came on court four where Vivian Wolff defeated Carolyn Campana 6-2, 6-4 and in doubles where the team won its’ sixteenth doubles point in 20 attempts this season.

Wolff’s win was her fourteenth consecutive singles victory. Her doubles win with partner Elena Christofi put that pairing at 13-0 on the season as well.

The only point won by the Commodores came on court two where Fernanda Contreras beat Marta Gonzalez 7-6, 6-3. The dropped point broke a streak of seventh consecutive team shutouts for the Bulldogs.

With the conference tournament beginning Wednesday in College Station, Wallace said he would like the group to keep up its excitement level after clinching the regular season conference title on Friday and the undefeated regular season today.

“They don’t need to calm down quite yet,” Wallace said. “They need to be excited about this. Winning a championship, especially in the best conference in the country, going undefeated in the regular season that deserves to really be excited about.”