190322_GMA_WTennisvOleMiss0014.jpg

Georgia player Meg Kowalski, left, high-fives her teammate Marta Gonzalez during a tennis match against Mississippi at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex on Friday, March 22, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. Georgia is ranked second in the nation and is the last unbeaten team in the Southeastern Conference. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The No. 1 overall seed Georgia women’s tennis team is advancing to the second round of the NCAA tournament after a 4-0 victory over the Alabama State Hornets at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex on Saturday. The Hornets were short a player, putting them down one point to start the contest.

Getting back into the win column after the loss to South Carolina in the SEC final seemed effortless in today’s quick set of matches, which brought Georgia's overall record to 24-1 on the season.

“It’s great to get that first win [of the tournament] under our belt,” head coach Jeff Wallace said. “We’re just looking to get through this weekend and we know Wake [Forest] is going to be a big step-up in the level of play, so right now our focus really is to just get ready for that one.”

Georgia won the second point of the day with the 6-0 win by the duo of Marta Gonzalez and Meg Kowalski over Alabama State’s Chloe Kabamba and Maria Popova. The win brings their record to 12-6 on the season.

Since the Hornets had to forfeit a doubles court and a singles court, the duo of Katarina Jokic and Lourdes Carle went unfinished. The duo was up 4-0 at the time of the stoppage.

The third point of the match came on court three in singles play when the no. 69 ranked player Lourdes Carle defeated Urska Velec 6-0, 6-0.

“I tried to do my best and feel great for tomorrow that way I can have a great match,” Carle said. “We love to play here, we love our fans, court three is always my favorite. I [hope] we can win here tomorrow and move to the next round.”

The final point of the day came on court five when Meg Kowalski defeated Marija Blazevic 6-1, 6-0. The win brought Kowalski’s singles record to 21-1 on the season.

On court one, the no. 2 ranked player in the nation Katarina Jokic faced Maria Popova. The match went unfinished with a score of 6-1, 2-2.

No. 19 Marta Gonzalez won the first set against Worthy Goldman 6-1 then had the second set go unfinished with the score at 2-2.

Next for Georgia is a second round matchup Sunday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex against No. 22 Wake Forest.