190322_GMA_WTennisvOleMiss0032.jpg

Georgia player Lourdes Carle hits the ball during a tennis match against Mississippi at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex on Friday, March 22, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. Georgia is ranked second in the nation and is the last unbeaten team in the Southeastern Conference. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The Georgia women’s tennis team added an SEC regular season championship to its perfect record of 20-0 on the season. This is the Bulldogs' first SEC regular season title since 2013.

“To win in front of our home crowd was really great," head coach Jeff Wallace said. "These fans in Athens have been awesome for us all year and we just wouldn’t be able to do something like we did today because every time we needed a boost they were there for us.”

In singles, Lourdes Carle secured her fourth clinch of the season after winning 6-2, 6-2. This moves her win streak to nine.

“It's so hard to describe the feeling right now,” Carle said. “This team for me is so special, so to get the victory for winning this match was awesome for me. I think we're doing great, because we are close to each other. We fight for each other, and we compete for each other, so that is the key and the best thing that we do as a team.”

In addition, sophomore Vivian Wolff secured her 14th consecutive victory after winning 6-2, 6-1. This now ranks her No. 53 and adds to her team-best record of 26-3. Junior Elena Christofi also won 6-2, 6-0 adding to her seventh victory in a row.

After an intense tiebreaker that ended 14-12, junior Marta Gonzalez lost the tie but remained enthusiastic after the lost set.

“That was the longest tiebreaker I’ve played here," Gonzalez said. "I had about six set points and then she started doing the same things. There was a point where it was 12-12 and I just started laughing because it was crazy.”

No. 1 ranked Katarina Jokic was leading 6-3, 4-2 while Gonzalez had just finished her lengthy tiebreaker. At the same time, Meg Kowalski was beginning her third set as well.

Georgia doubles started the day off with a 1-0 lead. The Bulldogs are now 15-for-23 overall in doubles.

Gonzalez and freshman Meg Kowalski dominated the Kentucky junior-freshman duo 6-0 for their fourth straight win.

“We are both very solid and understand how to better each other because we are such similar players,” said Gonzalez.

Christofi and Wolff faced tougher competition but also secured a win, adding to their 12-0 perfect record.

“The bottom line is we are going to be really excited about this and it’s a great celebration,” Wallace said. "But these guys love to compete and come Sunday against Vanderbilt they’re going to be ready to compete again and that’s what they really enjoy doing.”

The Bulldogs will play their last regular season game against Vanderbilt at home this Sunday, April 14th at 1 p.m.