170910_reh_tennischampionship_0027.jpg

Manuel Diaz, Georgia Men's Tennis head coach, talks to Jan Zielinski during the Division I singles semifinals match of the 2017 Southern Intercollegiate Championships at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Georgia, on Sunday, September 10, 2017. (Photo/Reann Huber, www.reannhuber.com)

The Georgia men’s tennis team landed two five-star prospects who are choosing to stay in-state and compete under head coach Manuel Diaz for the Bulldogs.

One of these is Britton Johnston, a native of Snellville, Georgia, and the other, Blake Croyder, is from Marietta, Georgia.

Per several recruiting services, the two rank among the best players nationally. Both will finish their senior year of high school in the spring and will be eligible as freshmen for the 2018-19 season.

“It is always a special feeling when Georgia boys decide to play for their home state,” Diaz said. “Britton and Blake are two of the best prospects in the country and had opportunities to go anywhere they wanted. I am so pleased they chose to join us here in Athens, and I can’t wait to see them develop over the next few years.”

In the state of Georgia, Johnston is ranked No. 4 and he is No. 13 in the southeast in the 2018 class according to tennisrecruiting.net. Throughout his career he has been ranked even higher than this, stacking at No. 16 in the nation.

Johnston led his high school team, William and Reed Academy, to a state championship and earned the Most Valuable Player honor. He was a finalist in the consolation at the national event in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and won two gold balls in the USTA national spring events in Mobile, Alabama.

Croyder plays tennis at Johnson Ferry Christian Academy and serves as their team captain. He is ranked No. 30 overall and No. 3 in the state of Georgia.

Along with this, Croyder is a two-time clay court national doubles champion and was a quarterfinalist at the National Championships in Kalamazoo for both singles and doubles in 2016.

“They both will come in, compete right away and make a huge impact for our team,” Diaz said. “We could not be more excited.”