190921_RAC_NDSecondHalf-31.jpg

Georgia defensive back J.R. Reed (20) wears the “savage” pads after catching an interception. The game finishes with Georgia topping Notre Dame by a score of 23-17. (Photo/ Ryan Cameron, rcameron@randb.com)

Every Sunday after a Georgia football game, The Red & Black will examine a key play from Saturday’s game. This week, we take a look at J.R. Reed’s  interception during Georgia's 23-17 victory over Notre Dame in Sanford Stadium.

The score

Georgia led Notre Dame 20-10 with 11:12 remaining in the fourth quarter. The Fighting Irish were marching down the field and into Georgia territory hoping to bring the game within a field goal.

The situation

Coming off a touchdown reception by Lawrence Cager in the back of the end zone the drive before, the Bulldogs were up by two scores. Georgia had finally found a comfortable offensive rhythm during the beginning of the fourth quarter. After a completed pass from Ian Book to Tommy Tremble, Notre Dame advanced to the Georgia 45-yard line.

The play

Book lined up under center and immediately handed the ball off to running back Tony Jones Jr. What looked to be a run play was quickly switched when Jones tossed the ball back to Book, who now had Tyrique McGhee barreling  toward him. Under pressure, Book threw 13 yards downfield to the sidelines. In coverage against receiver Chris Finke, Georgia safety J.R. Reed met the ball as he was falling out of bounds to snag the interception. Reed read the play and made a diving catch in front of Finke’s body.

The quote

"[Reed] was the human eraser," Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said. "He had two or three plays that were going to be explosive plays. He gets a guy on the ground that was about to break out and bust the coverage. Then he makes the pick that really changed the whole environment of the game."