190427_ks_TrackTLM_004.jpg

Georgia triple jumper Titiana Marsh leaps into the sand pit for her final of the three hops in the sequence. The University of Georgia hosted several teams and independent athletes for a second day of competition for its third Torrin Lawrence Memorial meet April 27, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean)

A trio of Bulldog freshmen highlighted the final day of the third annual Torrin Lawrence Memorial with wins and personal records Saturday in Athens.

“We had a number of freshmen step up this weekend, especially Titiana March in the triple jump,” head coach Petros Kyprianou said. “There were some surprise performances but a lot of performances that are what we expected and ones we hope to continue to improve.”

Titiana March was one of the three freshmen leading the way in Athens along with Elijah Godwin and Sakari Famous.

Marsh followed an opening attempt foul to notch a career best of 44 feet, 2 3/4 inches in the triple jump. She topped out at 44-8.75, making her the top collegiate finisher and second overall behind former Bulldog Keturah Orji.

Day two of the Torrin Lawrence Memorial was also Georgia’s senior day. Each of the program’s 15 seniors were honored and rewarded by Kyprianou for their exceptional athletic careers.

Elijah Godwin sped to his second consecutive career best, this time in the 400m for a victory. Godwin finished in 45.92, improving his No. 7 time in school history and putting him 15th on the national list.

Junior Kayla Smith reached 14 feet in the pole vault for the second week in a row. She won with a mark of 14-0 on a third attempt clearance.

The high jumping duo of senior Keenon Laine and junior Darius Carbin did their routine by clearing 7-1.50 and putting themselves in contention to win.

Laine cleanly went over 7-2.50 on his second try and Carbin had a third attempt clearance at 7-1.50 for a second place finish.

In the 110m hurdles, freshman Sterling Lester set her new personal best at 13.32 with a 1.8 meter/second wind behind her. She was the event’s second collegiate finisher.

Senior Michael Nicholls followed with a 110m hurdles victory and a 13.88 time. Nicholls was the only competitor to break 14-seconds.

In her final collegiate regular-season meet, senior Hayden Merrick shot to fourth on the Bulldog all-time list with a second discus try of 171.3. The second-place finish was the best discus performance for the Lady Bulldogs since 2012.