4_7_Bulldog_Heptathlon_Decathlon-5.jpg

Georgia's track and field head coach Petros Kyprianou watches members of his team compete in the javelin throw during the Bulldog Heptathlon at the Spec Towns Track in Athens, Georgia, on Thursday, April 7, 2016. (Photo/David Barnes)

The Georgia track and field team began the outdoor track and field season on Friday, competing in the Yellow Jacket Invitational in Atlanta.

The first major event saw true freshman Sam Bowers open his outdoor career with a win in the 5000 meters.

Bowers, a native of Milton, Georgia, finished with a time of 14 minutes, 49.41 seconds to edge out Chase Kennedy from Kennesaw State who ran a 14:51.18

Five more Bulldogs finished in the top-10, including junior Jonathan Pelham with a time of 15:00.32, senior Daniel Navarro with a time of 15:09.55, redshirt sophomore Davis Stockwell with a time of 15:10.55, redshirt sophomore Nate Reichard with a time of 15:27.97 and redshirt sophomore John Bradley with a time of 15:39.74.

Junior Ansley Heavern took runner-up in the women’s 5000m to begin the night. She completed her event in 17:36.26. Fellow Junior Tiffany Yue put together a fifth-place finish in a 27-woman field. Yue had a time of 18:00.36.

Saturday’s action will begin with the women’s shot put at 11 a.m. followed by the women’s javelin. Redshirt sophomore Skyla Beal will compete in the shot put and juniors Marie-Therese Obst and Tairyn Montgomery will compete with the javelin.

Junior Katie Jackson is Saturday’s first competitor on the track on day two. She will compete in the women’s 100m at 2:40 p.m.