190406_jca_track_14.jpg

Elijah Godwin of Georgia crosses the finish line during the men’s 400m event at an invitational at the Speck Towns Track on Apr. 6, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. Godwin placed first overall. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

Georgia track and field posted a handful of highlights on the opening night of the Torrin Lawrence memorial Friday in Athens, Georgia.

“It was a good day today because we had some high-level marks with Aliyah Whisby being the highlight,” said head coach Petros Kyprianou. “Her jump set the tone and helped continue our tradition in the jumps.”

Newnan, Georgia, native and Bulldog sophomore Aliya Whisby leaped for an NCAA leading mark in the long jump. She soared for 22-2.25 with a wind legal 0.6 meter/second, taking sole control of No. 2 on the Bulldog all-time list and third on the 2019 world list.

Freshman Elijah Godwin saw his 200m time drop once again as he won his fourth straight race at the distance. Godwin clocked a 20.59 seconds, moving to No. 9 on Georgia’s all-time top-10 list.

Michael Nicholls is training for his senior postseason run in the 110 meter hurdles while running the event in 21.06, taking fourth.

Junior Marie-Therese Obst reached a top distance of 157-2 on her third attempt in the javelin. This marks her second meet win of 2019 as she impressively took the victory by over 50 feet.

The versatile sophomore Johannes Erm continued his dominance in the decathlon. Erm took advantage of a 3.2 m/s wind on his first try in the long jump, winning with a season-best mark of 25-2.

Also of note, junior Micaiah Ransby sprinted for a season-best time of 23.70 to be the top collegiate finisher and coming within .02 of winning the 200m. Sophomore Chelsea Zoller ran a 1:01.68, taking third in the 400m hurdles just one week after setting a personal record of 1:01.58.

“We are looking forward to Saturday and seeing how we finish,” Kyprianou said, “We are having amazingly great weather, probably the best conditions of anywhere in the country so we are happy to be competing at home.”

The meet’s second day kicks off with junior Kayla Smith and freshman Courtney Long in the women’s pole vault and sophomore Skyla Beal in the women’s shot put at 11 a.m. on Saturday. Track events begin with the women’s 4x100-meter relay at 12:50 p.m.