Richt_press

Vince Dooley speaks to members of the press after a press conference following Mark Richt's dismissal, on Monday, Nov. 30, 2015, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Taylor Carpenter)

The Georgia Historical Society will elect Vince Dooley, former head football coach and athletic director at the University of Georgia, as chairman of its Board of Curators at its annual meeting Thursday, according to a GHS press release. 

“GHS has enjoyed a period of unprecedented growth and expansion with Bob Jepson as our board chairman,” said W. Todd Groce, president and CEO of GHS, in a press release.  “I can think of no stronger successor to fill the chairman’s role after Bob than Vince Dooley, and I look forward to his tenure and the leadership he will bring to the office.” 

Dooley will serve as the chairman for a two-year term ending in 2018. 

“I am proud and excited but admittedly a little apprehensive to be elected Chairman of the Board of Curators of the Georgia Historical Society," Dooley said in the release.  “We are all indebted to Chairman Bob Jepson, who I am succeeding, for his dedicated service and leadership. His generosity with his time and resources has set a standard for us all.”

Prior to acting as the Bulldog's head coach, Dooley served in the United States Marine Corps. He also worked as an assistant football coach at Auburn University, where he earned a bachelor's degree in business management and a master's in history. 

Also this year, Dooley was awarded the 2016 Wooden Citizenship Cup for having a positive influence on the lives of others.