10282018crj_uga_tennessee_volleyball0007.jpg

University of Georgia’s Rachel Ritchie, sophomore, hits the ball over the net during the volleyball match against Tennessee in Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia on Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018. (Photo/Caitlin Jett)

The Georgia volleyball team was edged out by Missouri Sunday afternoon in a 3-1 loss in Columbia, Missouri. Each set was close, with no more than a 4-point differential in all four sets.

The Bulldogs and Tigers tied 28 times the entire match and switched leads a total of 15 times.

Sophomore Rachel Ritchie earned her second double-double of the season with 15 kills and 14 digs, which led the offense. Closely following, Majesti Bass collected 14 kills and freshman Mallory Hernandez earned 11, as well as her first pair of service aces for the Georgia Bulldogs.

Defensively, the team secured 13 blocks, led by Anna Kate Karstens and Kianna Young, who earned her career high against Missouri.

Georgia came out strong in the first set with an early dominating 11-1 run, quickly followed by a 7-1 run by Missouri to force Georgia into a timeout. Both teams went back and forth with competitive runs to catch the advantage, but Missouri closed out the set in extra points to win 26-24.

The second set started similarly with a 9-5 run by Georgia, but was overturned by a 5-0 run by the Tigers to put them up 10-9. After some back and forth and a four point run from Georgia, Missouri called timeout from the bench. The teams went point-for-point until a challenging 3-0 run from Georgia won the set 25-22 to tie the match.

Starting out close, the Bulldogs were able to gain a solid advantage after a six-point run on the Tigers to put them up 14-8 in the third set. After two Georgia timeouts and the Tigers close on their heels, the Bulldogs reached set point at 24-20. Missouri came back with a 5-0 run to make another set point at 25-24, and eventually won the set at 27-25 after back and forth advantages.

The final fourth set was close with back and forth straight runs which led to a 15-14 lead by Georgia, but Missouri edged the Bulldogs out in the end to win the set 25-21 and the match 3-1.

“We have a resilient group of young women and I’m not just tossing that word around,” head coach Tom Black said. “Most teams would have quit a month ago. We’ll get back to work.”