181115_jca_volleyball_33.jpg

University of Georgia middle blocker Majesti Bass (19) blocks a shot made by Auburn University middle blocker Chesney McClellan (7) during a match against the Auburn University Tigers on Nov. 15, 2018 at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia. Despite Georgia holding the Tigers in a tight third set, they were unable to convert on set point opportunities; the Tigers won the third set 29-27 to win the match 3-0 in sets. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

In front of a crowd of 1,391 people, Georgia volleyball fell to No. 13 Florida 3-0 Sunday at Stegeman Coliseum.

Leading the team offensively, freshman outside hitter Mallory Hernandez tallied eight kills. Senior middle blocker Majesti Bass finished behind her with seven kills. Bass also led the team defensively with three blocks. 

The Gators built a 20-9 lead and continued that momentum to take the first set, 25-13.

The Bulldogs started off the second set in the lead, 2-1. The Gators went on a 5-0 run to take a 7-2 lead. Junior setter Meghan Donovan recorded an ace to cut into Florida’s lead, 11-8. Florida took the second set 25-11.

To close out the match, the Bulldogs put up a fight with 11 lead changes and 11 ties in the third set. The Gators ended the match with a 6-0 run and won the game 25-20.

“I think the team is hungry,” Black said. “You would not have seen the response you did in the third set, and they want to give themselves every chance to be successful in these next two matches. I think they have shown up well and we will keep working.”

The Bulldogs will continue their regular season at home with Arkansas on Nov. 21 and Mississippi State Nov. 23.