181123_rmw_volleyball_00029 copy.jpg

Georgia setter Meghan Donavan (22) sets the ball during a match against Mississippi State at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Friday, Nov. 23, 2018. The Georgia Bulldogs defeated the Mississippi State Bulldogs 3-1 for their final game of the regular season. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

On Monday afternoon, the Southeastern Conference announced two honors for members of the UGA volleyball team.

Breakout star Mallory Hernandez earned her first Freshman of the Week award and junior Meghan Donovan brought home the seventh Setter of the Week award in her career at Georgia, including the fourth in this season alone.

In a run of four games at Stegeman Coliseum to bring an end to the season, Georgia volleyball began with a sweep of Arkansas, in which Hernandez celebrated not only her season high of 19 kills, but also her 19th birthday. She notched a .436 hitting clip, committing only two errors in 39 attacks. She was able to repeat the 19 kills in the final match against Mississippi State as well.

“Mallory’s offensive performances for us on the left side these past few weeks have been invaluable,” head coach Tom Black remarked. “Her ability to play different positions allowed us to play some of our better volleyball at the end.”

Donovan’s standout final weekend included 14.4 assists on average, with 60 assists in the four-set victory against Mississippi State, marking a new record for Georgia volleyball in four sets. She also earned her 12th double-double of the 2018 season against the Bulldogs. The mark of 11.07 assists per set placed Donovan second in the SEC in 2018. As a team, Georgia finished fifth in the league with 13.17 kills per set.

“Meghan has carried such a big load for our team this season and this award is indicative of that,” Black said. “She is clearly one of the SEC’s top setters and will only continue to improve her game. That’s who she is.”