180930_volleyball_011.jpg

University of Georgia senior Anna Kate Karstens hits the ball during their match against University of South Carolina in Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia on Sunday, September 30, 2018. The Bulldogs lost the match in 5 sets. (Photo/Caroline Barnes, caroline.barnes3710@gmail.com)

Georgia volleyball defeated the Alabama Crimson tide in four sets, 3-1, Friday night in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The win broke a six-match losing streak for the Bulldogs and marks their third straight win over the Crimson Tide.

Dominating offensively, senior middle blocker Anna Kate Karstens recorded a record high 13 kills for the Bulldogs along with a career-high eight blocks. Sophomore outside hitter Rachel Ritchie tallied 19 kills and her first double-double of the season with a career-high 16 digs alongside senior middle blocker Majesti Bass tallying nine kills.

Friday was Georgia volleyball's first match since the departure of T'ara Ceasar. The sophomore announced Wednesday she would be transferring from the program. Ceasar led the team in kills. 

Tallying double-figure digs for the Bulldogs, senior outside hitter Caroline Ostman tallied a career-best of 17 digs. Contuing the season with her 12th double-double junior setter Meghan Donovan had 14 digs and 47 assists.

The Bulldogs had a season-high 14 blocks with this being only their fourth time this season that they have registered a double-digit team blocks lead by Karstens and redshirt sophomore Kianna Young with five.

“Our middles were really firing and put a lot of pressure on them and freed up our pins,” said head coach Tom Black. “Kianna [Young] was huge as an opposite. Meghan [Donovan] was getting people the ball. We had lots of gutsy back row play with Claire [Rothenberger] stepping in as libero and Caroline [Ostman] and Sydney [Gilliam] with their passing defense. It was great to see so many contributions to the win.”

In the final set of the match, there were 11 ties and three lead changes. The Bulldogs were able to continue their momentum and win the match and the set 26-24.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever been more proud of a team with everything this team has gone through,” Black said. “They had a ton of resolve with people switching positions with very little practice. They stepped up all over the place. I’m just incredibly proud, not just the win, but how they did it and what they’ve gone through to get to this point.