190424_GMA_SoftballVsGeorgiaState0003.jpg

Georgia outfielder Ciara Bryan (4) squints into the sun during a game against Georgia State on Wednesday, April 24, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs defeated the Panthers with a score of 5-1. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The collegiate spring season is quickly coming to a close. Four Georgia sports teams competed from April 26-April 28.

Both the Georgia baseball and softball teams faced top-15 opponents. The baseball team had a dreadful weekend against Mississippi State, but the softball team pulled off a series victory over South Carolina.

Catch up on all that you missed from baseball, softball and the other sports that were in action this weekend.

Baseball

The battle between one of the best pitching staffs in the country and one of the best offenses in the country was won handily by the players wielding the bats. Georgia, who had the second-best ERA in the country entering its weekend set against Mississippi State, was swept over the weekend by a combined score of 34-11. Mississippi State was ranked No. 1 in batting average among SEC teams entering the series. But in Friday’s lopsided 19-3 win for Mississippi State, it was mostly the inaccuracy of the Georgia pitching staff that led to the ugly result. Georgia issued 13 walks on Friday, including eight by starter C.J. Smith.

Softball

The Bulldogs lost on Friday in an 11-inning game, but it bounced back to win games two and three against the South Carolina Gamecocks by scores of 6-4 and 3-2, respectively. Friday’s game was Georgia’s longest game since 2012. Saturday’s matchup, which also went into extra innings, was decided by Ciara Bryan’s game-winning home run in the eighth. The last time Georgia played in back-to-back extra-inning games was in 2007.

Track and field

The Georgia track and field team hosted the Torrin Lawrence Memorial at Spec Towns Track from April 26-27. Day two of the event was Georgia’s senior day. Each of the program’s 15 seniors was honored and rewarded by head coach Petros Kyprianou for their athletic careers. But it was a freshman who made the best impression. Titiana March notched a career-best in the triple jump with 44 feet, 2 3/4 inches in the event. On day one, Aliya Whisby leaped for an NCAA-leading mark in the long jump.

Men’s golf

The Georgia men’s golf team lost in the quarterfinals of the SEC championship at the hands of Texas A&M. It was a 3-2 decision. Georgia’s two wins came from junior Spencer Ralston and freshman Trent Phillips. The tournament was held at Sea Island, Georgia, the 19th consecutive year it has been held in the town. From 1946-1965, the SEC championship was held in Athens. It may not be in the Classic City anymore, but the Bulldogs will host other teams starting May 13 in the NCAA Regional at the UGA Golf Course.