190406_rmw_gym_021.jpg

GymDog Sabrina Vega competes on floor during the NCAA Athens Regional at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Saturday, April 6, 2019. The GymDogs came in second place with a score of 198.050 and will advance to the NCAA Women’s Gymnastics Championships in Fort Worth, Texas. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Georgia gymnastics, baseball, softball and track and field teams all competed at home this weekend. The No.1-ranked women's tennis team, men's tennis and men's golf team took their talents elsewhere.

The baseball and softball teams won two out of three games while the GymDogs clinched a spot in the NCAA championship. The men's golf team came close to beating a school record while Alyssa DiCarlo, a shortstop on the softball team, actually did break a record.

Catch up on all that you might have missed from the weekend in Georgia sports:

Gymnastics

The GymDogs are going to the NCAA championship. They finished second at the Athens Regional Final Saturday night in Stegeman Coliseum behind only Oklahoma, punching a ticket to Fort Worth, Texas, for the NCAA championship on April 19 and 20. Marissa Oakley’s perfect 10 on bars cemented Georgia’s second-place finish. Head coach Courtney Kupets Carter was the last GymDog to earn a perfect 10 on bars when she did it in 2009. Before they even had the opportunity to compete on Saturday, Georgia had to take care of business on Friday. The GymDogs did just that by recording a score of 197.300 in its first session of the weekend.

Baseball

Vanderbilt draws a crowd. A combined 9,350 fans came to Foley Field last weekend to watch the fourth-ranked Bulldogs and fifth-ranked Commodores battle it out. Vanderbilt triumphed in 11 innings on Friday but faltered on Saturday and Sunday, allowing Georgia to secure the series victory. Riley King hit a grand slam on Saturday, boosting Georgia to an 8-3 win. In the rubber match on Sunday, Tony Locey pitched seven innings of one-hit baseball in a 3-1 win.

Softball

Like the baseball team, the Georgia softball team won two of three against its opponent. Unlike the baseball team, the Bulldogs lost their last game but won their first two. On Friday, Georgia compiled 16 hits and two home runs on their way to an easy 11-5 victory over Texas A&M. Georgia squeezed out a 3-2 win on Saturday but lost on Sunday by a 5-3 score. It wasn’t all bad news for the Bulldogs on Sunday. Alyssa DiCarlo became the fastest player in Georgia history to eclipse 20 home runs in a single season (41 games).

Women’s tennis

Georgia’s winning streak is at 19 wins and counting. The Bulldogs, ranked No. 1 in the country, beat Arkansas 4-0 on Friday and Missouri 4-0 on Sunday, two decisive victories that pushed their record to 19-0 with an 11-0 conference record. Sunday’s win capped a 4-match road trip. Georgia only has two regular-season matches left. Both are at home.

Men’s tennis

The Bulldogs beat Arkansas 6-1 on Sunday in their last home match of the regular season. Georgia seniors Jan Zielinski, Emil Reinberg and Walker Duncan won each of their singles matches.

Track and field

It’s not often that the Georgia track and field team competes in Athens. The Spec Towns Invitational, which ran from April 5-6, represents just one of two 2019 regular-season meets held at Spec Towns Track. Overall, the Bulldogs showed off nicely for the home crowd. On the first day, Jessica Drop triumphed in the 1500m thanks to a time of 4:23.18. On the second day, Denzel Comenentia finished No. 1 in discus among collegiate athletes. The senior’s toss of 183-8 on his third attempt was good enough to win by 13 feet.

Among collegiate participants, Johannes Erm finished with the best score in the decathlon. The Bulldogs will hit the road again for a meet in Torrance, California, on April 18.

Men’s golf

The Bulldogs finished with a 34-under 830 at the Clemson Invitational, the fifth-best tournament total in school history. Georgia ended the tournament in third place, behind Georgia Tech and Duke.