190223_jca_finals _05.jpg

Courtney Harnish, a sophomore freestyle and butterfly swimmer from York, Pennsylvania, swims the 1650 yard freestyle during finals on Feb. 23, 2019 at the Gabirelson Natatorium in Athens, Georgia. The University of Georgia hosted the 2019 SEC Swim and Dive Championship over five days. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

As the winter sports wind down, the Georgia spring sports teams are settling into a new season. 

The two Bulldog basketball teams had mixed results. The men’s team won by six points over Florida after losing four close games in a row. The women’s team, meanwhile, lost to Kentucky moments before a fire forced patrons to evacuate Stegeman Coliseum.

The Georgia baseball team won two out of three against Georgia Southern in Statesboro while the softball team won three out of four in the Bulldog Classic.

Read more about how the Georgia sports team performed during the first three days of March. 

Basketball

190227_ks_BasketballvsAuburn_0006.jpg

Nicolas Claxton (33) searches the court for a teammate to throw the ball in to for Georgia. The University of Georgia men’s basketball team hosted the Auburn team to fall by a final score of 78-75 on Feb. 27, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean)

The Georgia men’s basketball ended a nine-game losing streak on Saturday night with a 61-55 win over Florida. Nicolas Claxton shot 9-of-12 from the field and a perfect 5-for-5 from the free throw line for 25 points. Florida’s Jalen Hudson was the only other player with more than 10 points in the low-scoring matchup.

190210_jca_wbasketball_01.jpg

The University of Georgia women's basketball team storms the court before a game against the University of Florida at Stegeman Coliseum on Feb. 10, 2019 in Athens, Georgia. The Lady Dawgs defeated the Gators with an enormous point deficit of 93-58 in regular time. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

The women’s team lost its final regular season game to Kentucky on Sunday by a score of 58-53. Gabby Connally led the team with 18 points. She had two big 3-pointers with under 3 minutes remaining in the game but the Wildcats kept the Lady Bulldogs at bay with 2 3-pointers of their own. Georgia will now need an exceptional performance in the SEC Tournament to secure a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

Gymnastics

IMG_5035.jpg

University of Georgia gymnast Marissa Oakley does a split in her beam routine during a meet against the University of Kentucky at Stegeman Coliseum on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. The Gymdogs beat the Wildcats with a close score of 197.3 to 197.225 in their last home meet of the season. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

The GymDogs lost to LSU 197.900-196.325 on Friday night in Baton Rouge. Georgia posted its second-lowest score of the season on bars. Meanwhile on vault, Georgia senior Sydney Snead took home the GymDogs’ only event title of the night, scoring a 9.925. Georgia’s overall score was less than ideal, but it will replace a 196.300 on Feb. 8 in terms of national qualifying score (NQS). 

Baseball

190223_MG_UGABBUMASSLOWELL-4353.jpg

LJ Talley (2) warms up to bat during UGA Baseball's game against UMass Lowell at Foley Field in Athens, Georgia on February 23, 2019. (Photo/Maya Giro)

Georgia Southern decided to stage a Saturday doubleheader rather than risk playing in the rain on Sunday. The Bulldogs lost that game on Saturday night after three bullpen pitchers combined to issue seven straight walks to the Eagles in the sixth inning. The pitchers fumbled away a 3-0 lead in an eventual 10-7 loss. Georgia still won the series, winning the first two games 3-1 and 4-2.

Softball

The Georgia softball team lost its second game of the season on Friday night before winning three more on Saturday and Sunday to improve its win total to 18. Virginia Tech defeated the Bulldogs 7-6 on Friday night in extra innings after the stadium lights went out for about 15 minutes. Georgia avenged that loss on Saturday afternoon with an 8-0 win against the Hokies before ending the weekend with two wins against UAB.

Tennis

The men’s tennis team traveled to Knoxville on Friday and beat Tennessee 4-2 in its first SEC match of the season. Freshman Phillip Henning scored the clinching points in both singles and doubles. The Bulldogs then traveled back to Athens and were defeated by No. 3 Texas on Sunday.

The second-ranked women’s team also beat Tennessee this weekend. The Bulldogs gave the Volunteers all they could handle with a 4-0 sweep. The ITA indoor champions, Georgia is now at 9-0 on the season, its best start since 2007.

Swimming and Diving

The Last Chance Meet represents exactly what it sounds like: Georgia’s last chance to improve its qualifying times before the NCAA championships later this month. Junior Clayton Forde did just that: he recorded a career-best 3:41.14 in the 400 IM, which makes him a virtual lock for NCAA contention, as that time ranks as the No. 3 time nationally in that event.

Equestrian

190302_ks_EquestrianvsSC_0027.jpg

Graysen Stroud slides to a stop aboard Peppy. University of Georgia equestrian hosted and defeated South Carolina by a final score of 13-7 in Bishop, Georgia on March 2, 2019. (Photo/Kathryn Skeean)

The Georgia equestrian team beat South Carolina on Saturday afternoon at the UGA Equestrian Complex. The upset against No. South Carolina gives the Bulldogs a 3-2 SEC record.