Joni Taylor

Georgia head coach Joni Taylor coaches her team during the Lady Bulldogs' game with the Seton Hall Pirates at the Stegeman Coliseum on Sunday, December 6th, 2015 in Athens, Ga. (Photo by Sean Taylor)

The Georgia women’s basketball team notched its second Southeastern Conference win on Sunday afternoon with a win over Kentucky (8-9) in Lexington, Kentucky.

The win is Georgia’s first over Kentucky since 2014 and its first win in Lexington since 2013. With the win, the Lady Bulldogs remain undefeated on the road and moved to a record of 2-1 in SEC play and 14-2 overall.

“This is a good win for our team today,” head coach Joni Taylor said. “We felt like the non-conference schedule really prepared us well to go on the road in league play, and it is no easy task to win back-to-back conference games on the road. Give Kentucky credit — they were really prepared, they got after us and I am pleased to get out of here with a win.” 

The Georgia defense kept Kentucky’s offense in check throughout the game, holding the Wildcats to just 42 points, the second-fewest of any Georgia opponent this season. However, the Georgia offense also struggled to produce. The Lady Bulldogs scored just 56 points, the fewest they have scored in a win this season.

Both teams struggled to shoot well, which resulted in a low-scoring game on both sides. Georgia finished with a field goal percentage of 27.8, its lowest of the season, while Kentucky shot 20.4 percent. 

Despite the low scoring total, three Georgia players scored in double digits. Freshman Que Morrison scored 14 points, while senior Mackenzie Engram and junior Caliya Robinson both recorded double-doubles with 12 points and 11 assists each, and freshman Gabby Connally scored 10 points.

Although the Lady Bulldogs surrendered five turnovers in the first eight minutes of the game, Georgia took a 15-10 lead into the second quarter thanks to its defense and Morrison’s five points in the first ten minutes of the game.

Kentucky closed in on Georgia in the second quarter. Both teams struggled on offense and the Lady Bulldogs took a tight 26-24 into halftime.

Neither team was able to score in the first three minutes of the third quarter, and Kentucky finished with just five points in the entire quarter. Georgia took a six-point lead into the fourth quarter. 

The Lady Bulldogs maintained their lead for the remainder of the game, closing out the 56-42 road win.