171127_lady_basketball0000.jpg

Redshirt freshman Taja Cole (0) races towards the basket during a basketball game between the University of Georgia and Tennessee Tech at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Georgia, on Monday, November 28, 2017. (Photo/Jason Born)

The Georgia women’s basketball team beat North Carolina A&T (3-6) by a score of 73-63 on Thursday night in Greensboro, North Carolina.

With the win, the Lady Bulldogs (8-1) bounced back from their first loss of the season against Texas and remained undefeated on the road with their fourth road win of the season.

“I told our players in the locker room that I was proud of the way we just gutted it out,” head coach Joni Taylor said. “During the last five minutes of the game, every player on the court for us made a play. That’s what it takes against a team like North Carolina A&T. This was a great test for us coming off a long break for finals, and I am pleased with how we responded.”

Georgia got off to a slow start in the game, as has been the case often throughout the season so far. The Lady Bulldogs pulled out to a 6-3 lead but soon fell behind as far as 13-8 midway through the quarter.

Redshirt sophomore Taja Cole hit a jumper with three seconds remaining in the first quarter to give the Bulldogs the lead going into the second quarter. From there, Georgia went on an 8-0 run to take a 19-15 lead.

The Aggies responded to the Georgia run, keeping it close throughout the second quarter. After a late run by North Carolina A&T, the teams headed to the locker room for halftime in a tight battle, with Georgia leading by one at 31-30.

Much of Georgia’s struggles in the first half can be attributed to turnovers. The Bulldogs committed ten turnovers in the first half alone.

Georgia came out strong in the third quarter, pulling out to a 41-34 lead. Cole was responsible for much of Georgia’s offensive success in the quarter, as she accumulated 10 points in the third quarter alone.

North Carolina A&T kept it close for the remainder of the game, pulling within two points at 63-61 with only two minutes remaining in the game. In the final two minutes, though, the Lady Bulldogs went on a 10-2 run to secure the 73-63 win.

Cole and junior Caliya Robinson led the team with 15 points each. Robinson also accumulated a team-high five blocks. Senior Mackenzie Engram also reached double figures, tallying 11 points.