200824_TMG_GreekLifeOffice_001.jpg

The Greek Life office sits in the bottom floor of UGA's Tate Student Center in Athens, Georgia, on Monday, Aug. 24, 2020. (Photo/Taylor Gerlach; @taylormckenzie_photo)

Eleven Interfraternity Council organizations have been fined for violating social distancing guidelines instituted by IFC. The organizations have been charged a cumulative amount of $24,000.

UGA Interfraternity Council president Brennan Cox said in an email Wednesday that IFC has issued 11 violations with “no repeat offenders.” The money is going toward the IFC Scholarship Fund, a need-based scholarship administered by the UGA Foundation. 

The IFC first introduced a fine system in early June, when it passed a bill that would fine organizations $5,000 for violating social distancing guidelines, which would increase to $7,500 and then to $10,000 for subsequent violations. An Aug. 12 bill stated organizations would be fined $1,500 for violating guidelines during fall events, with $500 increases for subsequent violations. 

Only one chapter was fined between the first bill’s passage on June 4 through mid-August. The other 10 violations have taken place in the last month. Cox didn’t comment on which organizations were fined or the dates on which they were fined.