Baldwin march 4/6

Protesters held its third demonstration aimed at the UGA administration in a week's time on May 6. (Photo/Spencer Donovan) 

For the third time in a week, University of Georgia students and Athens community members protested UGA President Jere Morehead’s response to demands that the university address its history of slavery, fund a center for slavery research at UGA, create reparational scholarships and pay all its workers a minimum of $15 per hour.

The Coalition for Recognition and Redress requested a meeting date be set with Morehead and a representative of the University System of Georgia Board of Regents on April 29. Coalition leaders were told they would have a response within two to three business days, but UGA has not yet responded to their request.

On May 6, a group of about 50 protestors marched from the Arch to the UGA Administration Building, where a sign on the building’s front door read: “Pursuant to University Policy, expressive activity is not permitted in interior spaces such as the Administration Building. Please call 706-583-0759 to request entry or to request an appointment.” The sign was no longer posted by 6:15 p.m.

For the 3rd protest in a week, people are gathering at the Arch to demand a meeting with #UGA Pres. Morehead. Last Monday, activists requested to schedule a meeting with Morehead to discuss UGA’s history w/ slavery. UGA has not responded to the request for a meeting @redandblack pic.twitter.com/HeHL9F4H73

— Spencer Donovan (@sdonovan5) May 6, 2019

After protesting outside the Administration Building, the group marched to Baldwin Hall, where remains of slaves were found buried in 2015. The group held a meditation and reflection session in the parking lot at Baldwin.

Black students and other protestors told stories of experiences they had with racism at the university.

“We don’t get to cry in class. We don’t get to cry walking from Tate, walking to Baldwin,” Junior history major Chris Xavier said. “When people say racist shit in class, you keep it together. When your professors say racist stuff, you keep it together. When the university decides to bury some black people and not even acknowledge it, you have to keep it together.”

UGA police barred the activists from entering the UGA Administration Building on May 2. The activists said they were attempting to follow up on their meeting request. They were barred because their April 29 march was “disruptive” and because UGA does not allow demonstrations inside buildings, UGA Executive Director of Media Communications Greg Trevor said in a statement.

Leaders of the Coalition for Recognition and Redress said they plan to engage with the black community in Athens and to build their "base" this summer. The protest Monday was the last protest for their demands at UGA until next fall, UGA graduate student and Coalition leader Rachelle Berry said.