Amy Lee

Lee (far right) with friends

Amy Katherine Lee, a 21-year-old University of Georgia student, died Aug. 22 from injuries sustained in a car accident on Aug. 19. 

Lee was born April 8, 1997, in Lawrenceville to Karl and Karen Lee and is remembered for her contagious happiness and kindness.

“Amy was a truly special girl who could brighten up any room with her contagious smile,” Karen Lee said. “She was full of hugs that she generously shared to show everyone that she cared.”

Lee was beginning her senior year at UGA where she was majoring in special education. During her time at UGA, she touched the lives of many students including Sarah Williamson, a senior exercise sports science major.

“Amy Lee was one of the most selfless people I ever met,” Williamson said. “Her passion was always loving on others, and she wanted to be a special ed teacher when she grew up.”

Lee was active with many organizations on and around campus, especially the UGA Wesley Foundation, which she joined during her freshman year. Kimberly Klaer, associate director of development for Wesley, said she met Lee when she was a freshman working as a leader for a spring break mission trip to Jamaica.

“I could tell, mostly from her smile, that she was a kind and joyful person that would make everyone feel a part of the team,” Klaer said. “I know that she played a key role in the lives of many students’ experiences on that trip by listening intently in conversations and following up with a giant hug.”

Klaer said Lee continued to be a part of Wesley by leading Bible study for three younger girls. 

“Across the room of 1,000 people I would catch one of her smiles,” Klaer said. “People talk about her smiles and her hugs because those are two of the simplest pictures that display Amy’s love, kindness, warmth and joy.”

Lee was a student ambassador for the College of Education and was serving as the vice president. She was also active in the organization Extra Special People, serving as a buddy in the ESP after-school program and an ESP and Camp All American camp counselor during the summer. 

Lee is survived by her mother and father, her older brother Timothy Lee, her paternal grandmother Joyce Lee, her maternal grandmother Lois Thomsen and step grandfather Ken Thomsen, her maternal grandfather David Schuman and step grandmother Valerie Schuman and numerous extended family. She was preceded in death by her paternal grandfather Richard Lee.

There will be two services held for Lee. The UGA Wesley Foundation will hold a memorial service Aug. 30 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at 1196 S. Lumpkin St. 

Her funeral service will be held on Sept. 2 at 3 p.m. at McKendree United Methodist in Lawrenceville. There will be a visitation period at 2 p.m. prior to the service.

In lieu of flowers, her family is requesting donations to be made to the two organizations with which she worked closely: Extra Special People and the Wesley Foundation.