North Campus Quad

The quad on North Campus at the University of Georgia in March 2017.

Big changes are coming to UGA’s campus. Here are a few you might have missed.

Oglethorpe House 

Oglethorpe House, the 494 bed residence hall affectionately known as O-House, is getting a new look. Construction workers are removing the exterior bricks from the residence hall and replacing them with new bricks of the same color. The project began in 2015 when bricks from the low end of the building began falling. Mechanical, electrical, plumbing, minor ADA and fire code upgrades are a target of the renovations.  Though put on hold in 2016, the project is back on schedule. 

Clark Howell Hall 

O-House isn’t the only place getting an upgrade. Clark Howell Hall, which houses the Career Center, the Counseling and Testing Center, The Disability Resource Center and the Office of Disability Services, is undergoing renovations. The project began last March and is set to finish this August. The renovations will improve life safety, mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems, ADA accessibility and update finishes for students, faculty and staff.  

Lumpkin Street Bus Stop 

Following a request led by the Student Government Association (SGA), construction began for a new bus stop in front of the soon to open Business Learning Community, just up the street from Bolton Dining Commons. The project includes sidewalk and crosswalk renovations and improved landscaping to prepare for the new bus stop. The project is scheduled to be complete by the beginning of the Fall 2017 school semester.

Jittery Joe’s and Au Bon Pain openings

A new Au Bon Pain will open within Amos Hall, a new building being constructed for the Terry College of Business, at the intersection of Lumpkin and Baxter Streets. This is part of phase two of the Business Learning Community’s construction. Highlights of the menu will include items such as salads, sandwiches and coffee. In the Science Library, a Jittery Joe’s will be added for student convenience  — the second Jittery Joe’s on campus. 

Campus Transit sustainability initiative

Campus Transit will purchase 19 electric buses after being awarded $10 million from the state of Georgia. These new buses should arrive on campus in late 2017 or 2018, and will replace the oldest buses from the existing roster of 59 diesel buses. The 40-foot electric buses emit no pollution, make less noise and have lower operating costs. This is just another step in the campus’ sustainability initiative.

Oldbulldawg15

This is actually the third Jittery Joe's on campus. The second one is in the UGA Law School. Exciting stuff to have one in the science library!