Robert Stougaard

Northwest Agricultural Research Center weed scientist and agronomist Bob Stougaard waves his hand through a new spring wheat line, CAP400, which is designed to be both stripe rust and orange wheat blossom midge resistant.

The University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences named Robert N. Stougaard their new assistant dean of research.

He will be responsible for supervising the college’s seven research centers and farms as well as three major agricultural experiment stations throughout the state.

Using research conducted at these locations, UGA Cooperative Extension specialists teach and train Georgia agriculturists.

In 1978, Stougaard received a bachelor’s degree in soil science from the University of Wisconsin, followed by a master’s degree in weed science from Southern Illinois University in 1983. He went on to receive his doctorate in weed science and a minor in microbiology from the University of Nebraska.

Stougaard began working for the University of Nebraska in 1987. His work focused on weed science extension efforts in agronomic crops.

In 1991, he moved to Montana State University, where he later rose to the position of professor with tenure.

At Montana State, his work included weed science research and small-grain cultivar evaluations. He researched the biology and management of the wheat midge, the management of stripe rust, the development of competitive cropping systems for the control of wild oat, and the effects of environmental and varietal factors on falling numbers in wheat.