construction

Two Construction machines on Herty Mall sit unoccupied on June 26, 2019. This strip of Herty Srteet, dubbed Herty Mall, is being renovated to improve access. (Photo/Foster Steinbeck)

With the University of Georgia campus quieter and less populated with students during the summer, construction crews can be seen throughout campus. Several UGA facilities are under active renovation and expansion. Here are seven big-ticket projects to watch out for.

Butler Garden

While many of the projects are renovation-focused, the university is also building the new Butler Garden at the College of Veterinary Medicine’s teaching hospital. The Garden will serve as “a place of respite” for the college’s staff, faculty and students, as well as the owners of pets who may be receiving treatment in the hospital. The project also commemorates donors who contributed to the hospital and garden.  

Cost: $875,000

Completion date: Fall 2019

Boyd Graduate Research Center

The Boyd Graduate Research Center is having its first floor renovated to provide space for nine new research laboratories, additional graduate student work stations and support space for the College of Engineering’s electrical and computer engineering MS and PhD programs. In total, the project will renovate 21,500 square feet with 1,500 square feet dedicated to graduate student space.

Cost: $5.75 million

Completion date: August 2019

Brumby Hall

Constructed in 1966 and housing 950 residents annually, Brumby Hall will be closed for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year for an extensive building renovation that will accomodate 938 students once finished. This project comes on the heels of Russell Hall’s yearlong renovation during the 2017-2018 school year. 

Upon completion, the building will sport new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, as well as amenities such as better privacy in community bathrooms and individualized room temperature control in rooms. 

The renovations of large residence halls like Brumby and Russell have created problems for undergraduate students in past years as the university worked to address the smaller amount of on-campus housing.

Cost: $53.8 million

Completion date: August 2020

Driftmier Engineering Center

The Driftmier Engineering Center is renovating approximately one third of its first floor to build undergraduate instructional lab space. The lab space will support civil, computer, biological, mechanical, electrical and agricultural engineering research. Two new traditional classrooms with a combined total of 72 seats will also be created. 

Cost: $5.5 million

Completion date: September 2019

The Georgia Center

This project aims to update the building’s exterior envelope, make a variety of mechanical improvements and renovate the hotel’s interior rooms and corridors. The plan will also include renovations to the cafe and coffee shop to improve guest service.

Cost: $13.85 million

Completion date: September 2019

Poultry Science Research Center

The Poultry Science Research Center on South Milledge Avenue is undergoing expansion to attract top poultry scientists to UGA and become more competitive for corporate and federal grants. The project will update several of the research center’s existing features such as upgrading the steam boiler system and feed mill.

Cost: $5 million

Completion date: August 2019

Herty Mall Construction

Spanning from Lot N05 to the UGA Law School, Herty Mall is having its pavement torn up and replaced with new pavement and other components. This construction aims to improve the corridor’s access for disabled people in accordance with the American Disabilities Act. 

Cost: Not available

Completion date: August 2019