delta_gamma house.jpg

A potential new member speaks with two members of Delta Gamma during even two of round two during the University of Georgia’s sorority recruitment on August 9, 2018 in Athens, Georgia.

On the heels of its house’s 50th anniversary, Delta Gamma is in the process of renovating its house to “match the look of Milledge Avenue” through a three-phase plan, said Rachel Wilson, president of UGA’s Delta Gamma chapter.

“These renovations were financed through “a capital campaign with donations from the chapter and the alumni,” Wilson said. “The cost of the renovations are private.”

The first phase, completed last summer, consisted of renovating the front facade, adding a library and expanding the foyer in the Delta Gamma house.

“We’re very passionate about not having the women not be able to live in the house … [so] we’re doing our construction just during the summer,” Wilson said.

The second phase will begin summer 2019 and will include expanding the back of the building toward the parking lot to add more room for the chapter room and dining area, adding a back porch and creating offices for the president and vice president.

After the second phase, the third phase will consist of an overall touch-up of the house and will take place sometime during the future. For all of the renovations, Delta Gamma has and will continue to enlist the help of architectural firm Hug&Associates to help renovate its house.

“In our opinion, the motivation to renovate or to improve their house is driven by wanting to stay competitive with the other sororities,” said Andy Anderson, the project manager for the Delta Gamma house renovations. “The house is one of the most critical parts of what attracts new members to a sorority … If it’s not very nice or if it’s old or worn out it may not be as attractive.”

In 2005, the Delta Gamma house went through another renovation phase.

“Our house was originally built to look like a sorority house and it has gone through one other facade renovation. We like to call it the ‘sand castle’ look that it used to have and that was done several years ago,” Wilson said. “It was trying to be a little more modern than what the times ended up bringing.”

Prior to renovations, the house stood out when compared to the other houses on Milledge, Wilson said.

“Especially in the South, there’s a certain look and a certain look of Milledge [Avenue] that our old ‘sand castle’ didn’t necessarily have, and so we were aware how it didn't necessarily fit in and … we want to stay ahead of the times.”