20180213_snelling_gabriellaaudi_DiningHallPhotos0030-2 (1).jpg

Snelling Dining Hall, where students regularly Snellebrate, sits in UGA’s south campus in Athens, Georgia, on Tuesday, February 13, 2018. (Photo/Gabriella Audi).

Rumors about a new Snelling Dining Hall have flooded the University of Georgia’s campus, gaining widespread social media attention.

Students and dining hall employees were under the impression Snelling would be closed for two years starting in May 2019 to undergo remodeling or rebuilding. UGA has dispelled these rumors.

“Dining Services continuously reviews its facilities to explore improvement opportunities,” said Greg Trevor, UGA executive director for media communications. “No official projects are currently slated at this time.”

In order to build or remodel a building on university campuses in Georgia, the university must file an application with the University System of Georgia Board of Regents. UGA also has to file for an application with UGA Architects.

The board of regents found no records of an application for Snelling, according to Teresa Higgins, director of contracts and services for USG. Applications are required to request state funds for projects and are presented to the board at monthly meetings.

Although there are no official plans or applications filed, there is some merit to the rumors.

“Snelling is a popular dining hall, and we know students rely on its availability,” Trevor said. “UGA will begin a feasibility study this fall to explore ways we can enhance service at Snelling. Studies of this nature typically require four to six months to complete.”

USG files budget reports annually from each university that applies for funds for construction projects. According to the 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 budget request forms, UGA has not requested any funds for Snelling. The last requested funds were for Phase III of the Terry College of Business Learning Community.

It is unclear where or how the rumors started.

“The University of Georgia does not speculate about rumors,” said Rebecca Beeler, public relations manager. “There are no approved plans for enhancements to Snelling.”

The last dining hall renovation was Bolton Dining Commons when it was completely rebuilt. The $26.7 million building opened in fall 2014.