Michael Adams

Below are a few glimpses into his administration, told through the stories of some that knew him best. Administrators and student leaders bid him and his wife, Mary, farewell in an address put on by the University Council Wednesday. (Photo/David C Bristow, dbristow65@gmail.com)

Undergraduate students will now have an extra day to drop classes, based on a vote at the University Council meeting Thursday.

The drop/add period will now extend until midnight of the fifth day of classes for all undergraduate and graduate classes, based on a proposal from the Educational Affairs Committee.

The previous policy gave undergraduates until midnight of the fourth day of classes and graduates until midnight of the sixth day of classes to drop courses, while add period extended for another day. 

The council voted to unify the undergraduate and graduate policies.

The policy also requires students be responsible for “all work assigned and material covered from the first day of class.”

The University Curriculum Committee did not approve the request to amend the plus/minus grading system to include an A+, and for that reason, the change was not brought to the council for a vote.

The Curriculum Committee proposed a variety of changes to academic program, all of which were approved by the council.

The creation of new minors in studio art and transnational European studies was approved. The studio art minor will be offered under the Lamar Dodd School of Art, while the transnational European studies coursework will be a joint effort of the history and Germanic and Slavic studies departments. The minor includes the creation of two courses: a one-hour seminar and a three-hour capstone.

The proposal acknowledges the value to students and also the value in bringing “together faculty from a variety of departments for an interesting and worthwhile intellectual exchange.”

The council also approved a new graduate certificate in creativity and innovation. The interdisciplinary certificate’s goal is to “bridge knowledge across diverse disciplines in creativity and innovation and to stimulate the ability of students and faculty to synthesize and apply this knowledge in their diverse fields.”

Two degree modifications were approved Thursday as well. The current Ph.D. in textile sciences will now be a Ph.D. in Polymer, Fiber, and Textile Sciences, and the Master of Arts degree in Art History will offer a non-thesis option.

The non-thesis M.A. will “provide the appropriate educational opportunity for students who intend to pursue careers and professions that require a broad base of art historical knowledge but not the specialized, research-oriented skills required of a Ph.D. in Art History.”

The a name change for the Center for Remote Sensing and Mapping Science to the Center for Geospatial Research was approved, as well as a renaming of the Institute for Health Management and Mass Destruction Defense to the Institute for Disaster Management.

The council approved some changes to the form requirements in the Academic Affairs Policy Statement based on new Board of Regents and Southern Associations of Colleges and Schools requirements.

David Shipley, the chair of the curriculum committee, was selected as the chair-elect for the executive committee of the council by that committee at its last meeting of the semester.

Aside from educational changes, Adams brought up the April 13 concert which was held in Sanford Stadium. He said he enjoyed the concert with his wife, despite “trepidation” beforehand. President-Elect Jere Morehead said the possibility of another concert in the stadium was not something he was ruling out.

Newly-inaugurated SGA President Austin Laufersweiler also addressed the council to introduce himself and his administration.

At the end of the meeting, Executive Committee Chair Nelson Hilton presented President Michael Adams with a framed copy of the final motion of a University Council meeting. He was joined by seven of the other executive committee chairs that have served under Adams.

The motion thanked Adams for his service and noted that during his 16 years, the council has approved 17 departments, 21 centers, 18 institutes and five schools and colleges. The council also approved 26 minors, 39 majors, 62 certificates, 71 master’s degrees and 20 Ph.D.s.

Adams thanked the council, reminding them that though “we may sometimes wonder what we’re accomplishing day-by-day or week-by-week,” he was thankful for their service to UGA and friendship.