Dress Down initiative

Extra Special People is encouraging football fans to "dress down" in support of Down syndrome awareness at the Georgia vs. South Carolina football game on  Oct. 12, 2019. 

According to a proclamation of the Student Government Association Senate, members of the University of Georgia community are encouraged to Dress Down in support of Down syndrome awareness for the UMASS football game by sporting Extra Special People Dress Down gear on Nov. 17.

Tyler King, the president of ESP@UGA and coauthor of the proclamation, said the idea came when the executive director of ESP was talking with an intern at Tailgate Georgia, which produced the T-shirts for the Dress Down campaign, about how formally girls and women dress at football games.

“We then had this idea of what if we started this campaign called Dress Down for the Dawgs and encouraged UGA football fans to wear T-shirts to games,” King said. “We definitely want people to wear our Dress Down gear … even if they don’t wear a T-shirt, they can still wear buttons or pins.” 

King said he was put into contact with SGA to support the initiative, and the proclamation, also authored by senator Max Sumner, passed at the most recent Senate meeting held on Tuesday, Oct. 13.

King said those interested in participating can find Dress Down gear at the ESP building in Watkinsville and at Tailgate Georgia, located in downtown Athens. Ten percent of T-shirt sales support the ESP organization.