190510_jca_gradcaps_26.jpg

A decorated graduation cap on display during commencement on May 10, 2019 at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Julian Alexander)

Synovus Financial Corporation CEO and Chairman Kessel D. Stelling Jr. and Director of UGA’s Institute of Higher Education Libby V. Morris will deliver the fall 2019 undergraduate and graduate commencement addresses, respectively.

Journalism major Taylor Maggiore will serve as the student speaker for the undergraduate ceremony. Additionally, the university will award donor and former UGA Foundation board member Sanford H. Orkin an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree during the undergraduate ceremony.

A 1978 UGA graduate in banking and finance, Stelling began his career with Synovus in March 2006 and was elected chairman of the company in 2012. Stelling currently represents the 6th Congressional District on the University System of Georgia Board of Regents and serves as a member of the UGA Board of Visitors and chair of the Terry College Dean’s Advisory Board.

Morris, a Zell B. Miller distinguished professor of higher education, received a bachelor’s degree in English from UGA. Morris has served as a faculty member of the Institute of Higher Education since 1989 and was named director in 2006. Additionally, Morris served as vice provost for academic affairs from 2010 to 2013.

The undergraduate commencement address will be held on Dec. 13 in the Stegeman Coliseum. The ceremony will begin at 9:30 a.m., followed by the graduate ceremony at 2:30 p.m.