180429_VMH_UGABaseballvsTennessee_0068.jpg

University of Georgia junior Adam Sasser (24) takes a lead off first base during a game against the University of Tennessee on Sunday, April 29, 2018, at Foley Field in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs won the three-game series but dropped the third to the Volunteers 5-6 in 10 innings. (Photo/Vira Halim, www.virahalim.wordpress.com)

A lot goes on around Athens and UGA campus and sometimes it can be hard to keep up. From Adam Sasser dismissed from the Georgia baseball team to a benefit hosted at Empire South. The Red & Black compiled a list of top stories not to miss this week.

Adam Sasser dismissed from Georgia baseball team 

180224_ERR_baseball_0026.jpg

First baseman Adam Sasser (24) slides to catch a ball going towards right field during a baseball game against the Charlotte 49ers at Foley Field on Saturday, February 24, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Reynolds Rogers)

Georgia baseball first basemen Adam Sasser was dismissed from the team, Georgia announced on Oct. 3. The dismissal comes after multiple sources said Sasser was yelling racial slurs at the Sept. 29 Georgia football game against Tennessee. Director of athletics Greg McGarity announced on Monday, Oct. 1 the university was investigating an incident involving a member of the baseball team.

Athens Academy earned a National Blue Ribbon award

Athens Academy

Athens Academy was one of 49 nonpublic schools to receive recognition as a National Blue Ribbon School. 

The U.S. Department of Education recognized Athens Academy as a National Blue Ribbon school for its academic performance. Each school submitted average scores for a range of standardized tests, which were above the national average. The schools average SAT score is 1265, and the average ACT score is 27.2. Athens Academy was one of 349 schools nationwide and one of 49 nonpublic schools to receive the honor.

Georgia baseball won first-ever exhibition game

180604_ajw_uga_baseball_ncaa_tournament_0028.jpg

University of Georgia infield looks towards the bullpen as a new pitcher comes toward the pitcher’s mound during a game between Duke University and the University of Georgia in the regional round of the 2018 NCAA Division I Men’s Baseball Championship at Foley Field in Athens, Georgia on Monday, June 4, 2018. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Georgia topped North Georgia 4-2 in a 14-inning exhibition contest in Athens on Sept. 30. The NCAA is allowing teams to play two exhibition games in 2018, a first for college baseball. Georgia’s pitching staff held North Georgia scoreless until the ninth inning, and shortstop Cam Shepherd hit a home run in the win. The Bulldogs will play a second exhibition game against UNC-Asheville on Oct. 14. 

Men’s basketball picked up four-star commit 

180709_ajw_basketball_availability_0001.jpg

Tom Crean, head coach of the University of Georgia men’s basketball team, speaks at media availability in Athens, Georgia on Monday, July 9, 2018. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Four-star men’s basketball prospect Toumani Camari verbally committed to Georgia on Oct. 1. Camari tweeted out his announcement two days after making an official visit to Georgia on Sept. 29. A senior at Chaminade-Madonna Prep in Hollywood, Florida, the 6-foot-6 small forward is ranked as the 26th best in the 2019 class at his position. Camara is from Brussels, where he played on the Belgian FIBA U16 team.

Empire South hosted Fan Friday Pregame

Empire_South-Courtesy

Empire South will host a benefit and pregame for Extra Special People (ESP) on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018.

Clothing company Empire South hosted a benefit and pregame, part of its Fan Friday Pregame series, at 6 p.m. on Sept. 28. The tradition of Fan Friday began several years ago and continues today. The benefit was for Extra Special People, a local nonprofit organization that creates opportunities for individuals with disabilities through aspects like school enrichment programs, summer camp and family support.