International Street Festival

Viva Brazil! performs at the International Street Festival in downtown Athens, Georgia on April 11th, 2015. The festival featured displays from international student groups and cuisine from around the world.

The University of Georgia’s unique Portuguese Flagship Program has received approximately $3 million to continue for another 4 years.

The program was conceived as a way to help students reach a fluent skill level in the Portuguese language. 

The program is an organization out of Washington D.C. that sets up programs such as UGA's at institutions around the country. The program at UGA is the first, and so far the only, of its kind to teach Portuguese, according to the organization’s website.

The students are selected from those who have already received advanced scores on assessments, and they join a program that culminates in a year abroad in Brazil, said Laurie Williford, assistant director of the Portuguese Flagship Program .

“We submitted our proposal in January of this year,” Williford said. “The Portuguese Flagship Program at UGA was reviewed and approved, and we were renewed for another 4-year cycle because Portuguese continues to be a language that is critical to our national security and economic competitiveness.”

The program sent its first class to Brazil in 2013 and has continued to send a class every year. So far, nearly 50 students have been sent, and Williford said many are already preparing for the 2017 and 2018 classes.

“Portuguese Flagship Students can come from any major,” she said. “We are always recruiting for committed students who are interested in becoming global professionals.”

Williford also said she believes the study abroad experience is central to creating motivated and successful students and helps ensure that graduates become responsible members of society.

“Our program specifically, and all the study abroad programs administered by [Office of International Education] at UGA more broadly, give students the experiences they need to graduate and become competent professionals in the workplace, informed voters and well-rounded individuals,” Williford said.