170923_emh_2ndmissstate_0007.jpg

Malkom Parrish (14) walks off the field after winning against Mississippi State in Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, September 23, 2017. (Photo/Emily Haney, emilyhaney.com)

Former Georgia football player Malkom Parrish was arrested on March 6 after his backpack, which contained a handgun, was found at the Ramsey Center basketball courts on March 5.

A UGA employee discovered a backpack containing a Liberty handgun and bullets at the Ramsey Center. The backpack was left unattended on the center basketball court, according to the police report.

The backpack and weapon were taken to the police station, and the owner came to claim the items. Due to a possible crime being committed, the handgun and bullets were kept as evidence, but the other contents were returned to the owner.

According to the report, a felony arrest warrant was issued for Parrish for one count of possession of a weapon on school grounds and a misdemeanor arrest warrant was issued for reckless conduct. Parrish was arrested, according to the Clarke County Sheriff’s Office arrest records, and released after he posted a $1,500 bond.

Parrish played defensive back for Georgia from 2014-2017. In his senior season, Parrish started five games as the Bulldogs advanced to the national championship game. Parrish was not signed by any NFL teams after the conclusion of his college career.