At the University of Georgia, six fraternities are now working to combat sexual misconduct, binge drinking and hazing through the national Fraternal Health and Safety Initiative consortium.

Sean Wagner, associate executive vice president for the Phi Delta Theta fraternity, said his organization is committed to ensure its undergraduate members are participating in the FHSI.

“Phi Delta Theta has committed to ensure that all 12,000 undergraduate members that comprise its 190 chapter and colonies will be participating in the Fraternal Health and Safety Initiative workshop entitled ‘Taking a Stand: Preventing Sexual Misconduct on Campus’ by the conclusion of the 2015-2016 academic year,” he said. “Additionally, sexual assault prevention is in the process of being added to all of educational programming, such as new member education.”

According to the FHSI website, these fraternities, which include Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Tau Kappa Epsilon and Triangle, are working together to make their members and campuses safer through three research-based curriculum programs focusing on hazing, sexual and relationship misconduct and alcohol and other substance abuse.

The Consortium represents over 75,000 undergraduates on over 550 college campuses.

Each fraternity is ensuring their members participate in the program modules, which focus bystander intervention, informed decision making and evaluation of risks and consequences.

John Cornell, a senior international affairs major from Darien, Connecticut, and president of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, said the national organization already sent modules that every member is expected to complete.

“The national office came out with a training video and compliance program that all members must complete regarding sexual assault specifically, and the other problems because of the problem that there is in Greek life throughout the country,” he said. “So all members in every chapter all over the country have to complete that. They’ve sent emails to all the presidents of all the chapters encouraging that we crack down on those problems — our chapter, specifically, has never had a problem with sexual assault or anything.”

RSVP at UGA

If you are a UGA student who has been impacted by relationship or sexual violence, you are not alone and there are people who can help you on the UGA campus. For free and confidential services, call the RSVP office (located on the 1st floor of the University Health Center) today at: 706-542-8690 or visit www.uhs.uga.edu/rsvp for more information. RSVP has trained advocates who can provide crisis intervention and support, safety planning, medical and legal accompaniment, as well as academic and housing accommodations.