The Arch

Through the Georgia Commitment Scholarship Program, the UGA Foundation will match each of the four $100,000 scholarships gifted by the George W. Strickland, Jr. Foundation. 

This year’s Georgia Bio Awards recognized five programs that are a part of the University of Georgia or affiliated with the University.

Georgia Bio, the association for Georgia’s life sciences industry, hosted its 2018 annual awards dinner in Atlanta where these awards were presented.

Two UGA units, the Center for Vaccines and Immunology and the Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases, received awards.

flu

Dr. Maggie Liu, a research professional, and Mr. Michael Carlock, the CVI Research Director, work with Dr. Ted Ross to develop a universal flu vaccine.

The Phoenix Award recognized the Center for Vaccines and Immunology for their industry and academic collaboration. Ted M. Ross, UGA infectious disease professor developing a universal flu vaccine at UGA, accepted this award on behalf of the department.

The Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases received a Community Award, which is presented to those whose contributions to Georgia’s life sciences community are worthy of recognition.

CTEGD is one of the largest international research centers which focuses on diseases that are common among impoverished regions of the world.

ArunA Biomedical, a biotechnology company that began as faculty research, received the Innovation Award, which recognizes those who break new ground by exploring and utilizing new technology.

Steven Stice accepted the award on behalf of ArunA Biomedical, a company that he founded. ArunA Biomedical designs cell-free biologic therapeutics and neural-specific drug delivery systems to treat central nervous system injury and neurodegenerative disorders.

Stice is also the UGA lead for CMaT, the director of the Regenerative Bioscience Center, a Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar and a D.W. Brooks Distinguished Professor in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.

Two additional award winners, the Georgia Clinical & Translational Science Alliance and the National Science Foundation Engineering Research Center for Cell Manufacturing Technologies, are also affiliated with UGA.

The Georgia Clinical & Translational Science Alliance, which is also affiliated with Emory University, the Morehouse School of Medicine and the Georgia Institute of Technology, received a Deal of the Year Award.

The Deals of the Year Award recognizes financial or commercial transactions that significantly contribute to the development of Georgia’s life sciences industry. Georgia CTSA recently received a $51 million statewide grant from the National Institutes of Health.

The NSF Engineering Research Center for Cell Manufacturing Technologies received the second Deal of the Year Award. They recently received a $20 million grant.

CMaT, which is based at the Georgia Tech, works to lower the cost and improve the safety of advanced cell therapies for chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.