180915_rmw_first_half_563.jpg

Tyler Simmons, a wide receiver from Powder Springs, Georgia, turns and runs the ball during the University of Georgia vs. Middle Tennessee University football game on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018, at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. 

Georgia defensive back Tyrique Stevenson was not the only Bulldog football player charged with a crime in the early morning hours of Sunday, March 24.

The Athens-Clarke County Police Department released a statement to The Red & Black Monday morning, which stated that wide receiver Tyler Simmons was charged with disorderly conduct alongside Stevenson after a fight at the Cloud Bar in downtown Athens.

ACCPD said an officer was working off-duty at the bar and was alerted of a fight taking place at 12:50 a.m. The officer called for assistance from multiple ACCPD officers for what the officer described as a “chaotic scene” with “numerous bar patrons spilling out onto the sidewalk and street.” ACCPD interviewed witnesses after the incident who described Simmons and Stevenson as the subjects allegedly fighting with bar staff, according to an ACCPD statement.

Simmons and Stevenson were both initially transported to the Athens-Clarke County Jail. Simmons complained of an injury and was transported to a local hospital. Simmons was charged with disorderly conduct after he was released from the hospital, said ACCPD Public Information Officer Geoff Gilland, but Simmons was not booked in the jail. The nature and severity of his injury is unclear at this time.

Stevenson was booked at 2:42 a.m., then posted a $1,000 bail and was released at 3:26 a.m.

Simmons is a rising senior on the Georgia football team and registered 269 yards of total offense and four total touchdowns last season. He started six games as a junior and is expected to compete for a starting job for the upcoming season.

Stevenson is an early enrollee from the 2019 signing class. The Homestead, Florida, product was a four-star recruit, according to the 247Sports Composite, and the No. 37 overall prospect in the class.