Delta Epsilon Psi

The men of Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity, Inc. value brotherhood, discipline and commitment.

Delta Epsilon Psi is a South Asian social and service fraternity that incorporates its three values into every social and service endeavor the brothers pursue.

The fraternity's national philanthropy is the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. In order to raise money for JDRF, Delta Epsilon Psi chapters host an event called the Sugar-Free Bowl, a flag-football tournament.

Saahil Patel, a freshman biology major from Rome, said the event is in honor of a fallen brother, Vishal Bhagat. Bhagat was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at a young age. He passed away in a drowning accident in 2006. Nationally, the brothers of Delta Epsilon Psi continued Bhagat's mission of establishing the Sugar-Free Bowl.

The University of Georgia's chapter of Delta Epsilon Psi chapter hosted its Sugar-Free Bowl Sunday. Dileep Kondur, a senior biology major from Augusta and vice president of the fraternity, said the event was successful.

"We got more teams and more money [this year]," Kondur said. "We got more restaurants to donate food. We got more awareness out of the community and more people involved."

Navdeep Singh, a sophomore biological sciences major from Duluth, said the chapter raised $4,001 this year, which was $1,000 more than last year. He said it's a tradition for the fraternity to add $1 extra to the total they raised.

Patel said the money they earn from team registrations and donations go directly to JDRS.

Patel said the fraternity's commitment to service is what makes the sets them apart.

"Our philanthropy is not just something random that our founders picked," Patel said. "It was picked because of one of our brothers who passed away tragically due to this illness. I feel like that unites us all as a brotherhood to be more committed to this fraternity and to the philanthropy itself."

Singh said the Sugar-Free bowl takes the organization's three pillars – brotherhood, discipline and commitment – and applies them to its service work.

"This event exemplifies all three of our pillars," Singh said. "Brotherhood by coming together and hosting this event for our fallen brother, discipline by doing it professional and commitment by holding it every year."

Patel said he joined Delta Epsilon Psi because of the fraternity's commitment to service.

"I felt like giving back to the community was a really important thing to me because I've always been interested in service since I was in high school and this fraternity really interested me in that way because we do a lot of service events," Patel said.

Patel said Delta Epsilon Psi's local fraternity is working with the National Bone Marrow Drive. Patel said one of the fraternity's Bone Marrow-thons broke the world record in donor sign-ups in a day.

Singh said his fraternity is like his family at UGA.

"The fraternity for me is basically like a family away from my own family," Singh said. "I see everybody in this fraternity as one of my own brothers. They're like my family. They might not be blood-related to me but they're equal to me."