Sigma Kappa

Sigma Kappa Sorority values personal growth, friendship, service and loyalty.

“We are a Panhellenic sorority,” said Kaitlyn Ball, a sophomore exercise and sports science major from Johns Creek and the vice president of alumnae relations for the sorority. “We participate in difference philanthropy, social and educational events. We’re an organization of girls who are trying to better each other and help each other grow.”

Sigma Kappa was nationally founded on Nov. 9, 1874 by five women in Colby College in Waterville, Maine and locally founded in 1964.

The philanthropy for the women of the Epsilon Epsilon chapter of Sigma K is aided by the sorority’s national Ultra Violet Campaign, which is run by the Sigma Kappa Foundation. The fundraising event concept provides Sigma K chapters with opportunities to raise money and awareness for the sorority’s philanthropies, according to the foundation’s website.

The University of Georgia chapter of Sigma K hosted its Ultra Violet Alzheimer’s Awareness Week for their Ultra Violet Campaign. All of the money raised over the course of week went to the Sigma Kappa Foundation and the Alzheimer’s Association.

Erin Moore, a sophomore exercise and sports science major from Savannah and the vice president of philanthropic services in Sigma K, said UGA’s Sigma K chapter is one of the biggest donors to the Alzheimer’s Association.

The main event for the week was the Longest Drive Golf Competition on April 13. The event was a competition to see who could drive the ball the furthest and an 18-hole round of golf.

Ball said the reason she chose Sigma K was that she felt the sorority was very accepting and welcoming.

“I just felt that everyone was very accepting and just very real,” Ball said. “I think that our sorority is very driven to help each other succeed and just to help better each other. It’s so cliché to say that we have sisterhood but it’s been really great to experience that and get to see first-hand how these girls are really there for you and are wanting to better you as a person.”

Moore said her sorority is her home at UGA.

“It’s where I’ve found life-long best friends and where I’ve grown,” Moore said. “I’ve assumed big roles in the sorority, and I’ve had the opportunity to grow. It’s been a big part of growing up, I guess.”

Ball said Sigma K has been an incredible experience for her.

“Finding girls that will one day be your bridesmaid and people who you look up to, I think it’s really been a home away from home,” Ball said. “It’s been a way to get out of my comfort zone and expand and just experience things that I wouldn’t have in the past.”