Delta Phi Lambda

Delta Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc. celebrated the fourth night of DPhiL week with the annual Taste of Diversity show.ALLISON LOVE/Staff

Delta Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc. celebrated the fourth night of DPhiL week with the annual Taste of Diversity show.

Quynh Ngo, a junior economics major from Cumming, was in charge of organizing the event. She said the week is all about celebrating diversity on campus and the accomplishments of the sorority.

She said the show this year needed to be bigger than previous years to celebrate the sorority’s 15th anniversary.

“We’re a young sorority,” the internal vice president for DPhiL said. “It is our 15th year so we wanted to make this grand and even bigger than previous years, but at the same time keeping it simple, going back to the basics and celebrating our sorority.”

And the event sported a full house of people from different Greek organizations, alumni, student organizations and just interested people.

Ngo said she “could not have asked for a better team” in putting the pageant together.

The show's main attraction is the Mr. Diversity pageant, which this year had nine contestants from Multicultural Greek Council fraternities and multicultural groups on campus such as the Vietnamese Student Association.

The pageant began with an introduction of the contestants, and an example of what each of their victory dances would look like.

Each contestant showed a video explaining why he should be voted for — "because my mom said so" was one Mr. Diversity hopeful's reason — preceding a talent portion.

Talents ranged from singing and playing guitar to solving a Rubik's cube while balancing upside down between two chairs.

Chris Nguyen, Mr. Asian American Student Association, rounded out the talent portion by bringing audience members on stage to help with a performance of the cup song.

In between different talent acts, the evening also featured raffles and performances by University of Georgia groups including Champa & Chameli, an Indian cultural dance team, Phi Beta sigma Fraternity, Inc. stepping and Lough Out Loud, an improv comedy troupe.

Following the final performance of the night by the Junk Yard Dawgs, the breakdance club at UGA, the contestants participated in a short Q&A session, then the judges - William McDonald, dean of students, Travis Martin, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and MGC adviser and Alison Templeman, graduate assistant for MGC and NPHC - went into deliberation.

Alvin Sun, Mr. Lambda Phi Epsilon fraternity, was awarded People’s Choice and Mark Mckinster, Mr. Filipino Student Association, was crowned Mr. Diversity 2013.

McDonald said he was “honored” to be invited to judge the pageant for the second time, and “had a blast”.

“It’s a great way to build community and celebrate different cultures and celebrate what it means to be a part of UGA,” he said. “It’s a great way to support students.”

Rahul Prasad, a junior microbiology major form Swainsboro, also said he came to the event to support friends both in DPhiL and participating in the show.

“I like it, I like the comedy troupe,” he said.

Gaby Lidback, a senior international affairs major from Alpharetta, said she came to the event to support her friend in DPhiL and had

“It’s been an absolute blast,” she said. “All the contestants have been awesome and the dancers in between have been even more fun.”

Ngo said the evening, as the biggest night of DPhiL week, was a success and she enjoyed seeing people’s faces enjoying the show.

“It was so much fun, I laughed throughout the entire show,” she said. “I’m so happy with the turnout, it’s better than I expected.”