Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., suspended the University of Georgia chapter of the fraternity until January 2017 following an internal investigation by the national organization and the UGA Police Department.

Eric Atkinson, assistant vice president for student engagement, said the investigation, which occurred during the spring semester, found allegations of hazing committed by fraternity members.

“We became aware of possible hazing allegations in January,” Atkinson said. “We interim suspended the group pending an investigation by the UGA police and the Kappa Alpha Psi national headquarters.”

The organization concluded its investigation in April 2014 and suspended the chapter from activity, Atkinson said.

“We have respected their findings and we will welcome the fraternity back to campus when it’s appropriate, after the length of that suspension,” he said.

According to a previous Red & Black article, UGAPD charged 11 members of the fraternity with hazing. In the article, UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson said the pledges were “physically struck” during initiation.

Georgia laws deem hazing as “a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and prohibits any possible activity which endangers the physical health of a student, regardless of a student’s willing participation, in connection with initiation.” The accused fraternity brothers face criminal charges and an arraignment has been scheduled for September, said C.R. Chisholm, Athens-Clarke County solicitor general. In the state of Georgia, a hazing charge has a maximum penalty of 12 months in jail and a $5,000 fine.