Lambda Phi Epsilon

Lambda Phi Epsilon is the only internationally recognized Asian interest fraternity.

The men in the University of Georgia's chapter of Lambda Phi Epsilon take pride in their small, close-knit brotherhood, which provides networking and cultural opportunities.

Lambda Phi Epsilon is the only internationally recognized Asian-interest fraternity. It has chapters nationwide and in Canada. Albert Hong, a junior computer science major from Savannah, said the fraternity isn’t exclusively Asian but its purpose is to promoting Asian interests on campus.

“Promoting Asian interest basically lets [students] know there’s something other than just, like, the [National Pan-Hellenic Council], the [Interfraternity Council], the Panhellenic Council, basically that we’re here, we’re out there that if you do want to join, still want to know a little more about Asian culture, you don’t necessarily have to be Asian,” Hong said. “Even if we are Asian interest, we take anybody.”

Because the fraternity is international, Hong said it provides the brothers with many networking opportunities.

Alvin Sun, a senior economics major from Tucker, said he joined the fraternity for the possible networks and the sense of brotherhood.

“I knew that if I joined I would have many connections that could help me in the future,” Sun said. “Once I became a brother, I quickly realized the value of brotherhood and that has changed my views completely. So basically networking and a sense of belonging in the brotherhood.”

Hong said the chapter has 17 active members. He said the small chapter size allows brothers to be very close.

“Right now we have 17 actives and I can say for sure that all 17 of us can hang out with each other all the time,” he said.

Jordan Zhu, a sophomore mass media arts and management information systems major from Marietta, said he and his brothers will do just about everything together.

“Study, just hang out and chill, sometimes party together and then just all the different events that our fraternity hosts, like fundraising and philanthropy events we all do together,” Zhu said.

Sun said the Lambda’s are a second family for him and said he knows that if he were to go out of state his brothers in nearby chapters would welcome him.

“I know if I go out-of-state and visit other chapters, you know, all the brothers at different chapters, they have my back,” Sun said. “I’d have a place to stay.”

Zhu agreed and added that he feels like he and his brothers are a real family.

“Well, currently right now I’m living with four other brothers so, like, literally, like, my home here away from my parents’ home in Atlanta,” Zhu said. “No matter what, brothers are always willing to help out. I’ve bought, like, old textbooks from a lot of other bros. I don’t know, I just really feel at home and like we’re actually a family, I guess.”

Hong said the sense of brotherhood makes him really proud to be a Lambda.

“It’s basically family,” Hong said. “I have the best family in the world, the best group of brothers. It’s more than just the three letters that you join. It encompasses everything. Lambda Phi Epsilon for me is networking, social aspect, academics and brotherhood, all those things in one fraternity. Three letters that make me proud and have a sense of joy.”