181116scw_Fall_in_Athens0001.jpg

South Campus at the university of Georgia is covered with leaves come Fall on Friday, Nov. 16, 2018 in Athens, Ga. Campus is mostly empty due to students leaving for Thanksgiving break. (Photo/Sidhartha C. Wakade, wakade98@gmail.com)

Construction for the new Interdisciplinary Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Research Building will begin at 2 p.m. Nov. 27, according to a University of Georgia press release.

The building provides engineering, chemistry and other material sciences with research laboratories and opportunities for real-life application. It also seeks to foster relationships and collaboration between students, faculty and researchers.

“Having our laboratories co-located in the Interdisciplinary STEM Building will be a major contributor to the success of our collaborative research,” said Rawad Saleh, assistant professor of engineering, in the press release.

Located on South Campus near other UGA STEM buildings, the facility will cost $65 million with $39.4 million in state support.

Construction for the facility is expected to be completed by summer of 2021.