Station officially changes hands

Expansion is on the forefront of the agenda at both WUGA-TV and WUGA-FM as they add and create local news broadcasts this month. Both stations’ broadcasts cover Athens and much of northeast Georgia.

Expansion is on the forefront of the agenda at both WUGA-TV and WUGA-FM as they add local news broadcasts this month. Both stations’ broadcasts cover Athens and much of northeast Georgia.

“Atlanta is too far for news stations there to fully cover local news in our area,” Station Manager Jimmy Sanders said. “Our station is providing news that no one else is providing, and this is an opportunity to build our audience.”

WUGA-TV will air local news broadcasts on weekdays at 1:58 p.m., 2:58 p.m., 3:58 p.m., 4:58 p.m. 5:28 p.m., 5:58 p.m. and 6:58 p.m, March 11.

“The potential audience for these broadcasts is 1.5 million TV households,” said Sandy. “Our audience is mainly educated people that have an awareness of the world and the issues facing our country.”

The new WUGA-TV local news broadcasts will be anchored by Alexia Ridley. Ridley is also an anchor for WUGA-FM.

“I’ve been in news my entire life and I see this as a great opportunity,” Ridley said. “Working with radio and television are slightly different animals but expansion is always a good thing.”

WUGA-FM expanded their local news broadcasting by adding afternoon updates to the morning updates, March 4. The updates will air at 12:04 p.m., 1:04 p.m., 3:04 p.m., 4:04 p.m., 4:32 p.m., 5:04 p.m. and 5:32 p.m.

Morning newscasts are reported by Matt Shedd and the newly added afternoon broadcasts are reported by Ridley. According to UGA Today, “adding these broadcasts will effectively double the number of WUGA-FM newscasts devoted to events and issues in the Athens/Northeast Georgia area.”

"We are excited to bring local TV news to the viewers of WUGA-TV and we are delighted to double the number of daily local news broadcasts on WUGA-FM " said Sanders.