190130_GMA_StateofUniv0003.jpg

University of Georgia President Jere Morehead presents the State of the University address at the UGA North Chapel on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. In the address, President Moorehead emphasized record-high numbers of graduation rates, standardized test scores of incoming freshmen and the university’s economic impact on the state of Georgia. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

University of Georgia president Jere Morehead was elected vice president of the Southeastern Conference’s Executive Committee of the NCAA at its annual meeting in Destin, Florida on May 31.

Eli Capilouto, the president of the University of Kentucky assumed the conference’s presidential position.

Last year, Morehead was elected to the SEC committee, which oversees the conference’s monetary affairs. He will also continue as the SEC’s representative on the National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I Presidential Forum and in the NCAA Task Force on Name, Image and Likeness.

Morehead previously served as the chairman of the SEC Working Group on Compliance, Enforcement, and Governance and was a member of the SEC Working Group on Student-Athlete Conduct.

The SEC is an intercollegiate athletic organization that includes Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana State University, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, South Carolina, Missouri and Texas A&M. It is divided between East and West Divisions.

UGA’s own Steadman V. Sanford served as the SEC’s first president in 1920. The last time Georgia held a leadership position on the committee was in 2005, when Dr. Michael Adams was president of both the committee and the university.