190130_GMA_StateofUniv0004.jpg

University of Georgia President Jere Morehead presents the State of the University address at the UGA North Chapel on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. In the address, President Moorehead emphasized record-high numbers of graduation rates, standardized test scores of incoming freshmen and the university’s economic impact on the state of Georgia. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

On June 18, the Council of Competitiveness launched its new University Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C., and announced University of Georgia president Jere W. Morehead as co-chair.

The Council of Competitiveness is an organization comprised of corporate and academic leaders that represent major facets of the U.S. economy, with ambitions to “jumpstart productivity and grow America’s economy.”

The University Leadership Forum ensures “colleges and universities will continue to play a vital and necessary role in ensuring U.S. long term competitiveness.”

The Council finds colleges to be pivotal in U.S. innovation via research, economic development, and skills training.

The Forum will be divided into three task forces to “develop agendas to set the future of innovation for university leadership through the lens of U.S. competitiveness.”

The extreme innovation task force will focus on innovative technologies such as artificial intelligence, biotechnology, supercomputers, quantum, fusion energy, and blockchain.

The university-industry partnerships task force will develop investment relationships to provide multifaceted support towards economic and technological advancement.

The STEM and liberal arts task force will work to combine arts and science into STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) classes to encourage critical and creative thinking.

Michael R. Lovell, president of Marquette University, is Morehead’s co-chair.