190127_GMA_DeltaSig0001.jpg

The Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house sits on Milledge Avenue on Sunday, Jan. 27, 2019, in Athens, Georgia. The house is currently experiencing flooding issues. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, www.gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

Delta Sigma Phi flooded early Saturday morning after a sprinkler pipe burst on the top floor.

According to the Athens-Clarke County Fire & Emergency Services incident report, the fire department was dispatched to the house after the fraternity’s fire alarm system detected a water flow at the building at 1:39 a.m. No smoke or fire was reported.

Upon arrival, fire personnel detected water coming through the ceiling of the first floor and were led by residents to a room on the second floor where a broken sprinkler head was flowing. According to the report, the water flow in the house stopped once the broken valve was shut off.

The department put the house on fire watch until the sprinkler system can be repaired.

The Public Utilities Department was not alerted of the incident, according to public utilities employee Ed Vazzelle.

The extent of the damage is unknown at this time, but according to the report, the residents declined assistance with water removal.

“Our alumni board is investigating and handling the matter as necessary,” said Austin Hibbard, the former president of Delta Sigma Phi. “It is an isolated incident that doesn’t impact anyone outside of our members who live in the house.”