Peabody Awards - 06.jpg

A picture from a 2016 gala celebrating the 76th Annual Peabody Award winners. This year, the Peabody Awards Ceremony was held on May 18, 2019.

On April 9, the Peabody Awards Board of Jurors announced 60 nominations for the 2019 Peabody Awards. Each year, 19 jurors in various positions across all journalistic mediums evaluate and deliberate 1,200 entries before reaching a decision.

According to the website, the 78th annual awards recognize “the most compelling and empowering stories released in broadcasting and digital media during 2018.”

Thirty winners with radio, TV and web content will come from categories in entertainment, documentaries, news, children’s and youth, public service, web and radio and podcast.

“Blue Planet II” and “Minding the Gap” are two nominated documentaries. Minding the Gap was released on Hulu and follows the stories of three skateboarding friends that explores masculinity and the age gap. Blue Planet II is produced by the BBC and highlights the threatened environment of the world’s oceans.

Peabody Student Honor Board member Eric Dean was excited to see the nature film on the nomination list, saying the shots in the film are “absolutely breathtaking.”

TV shows produced by streaming platforms, such as Amazon Prime, were also nominated. “Homecoming,” featuring actress Julia Roberts, dramatizes the process of veterans returning to society after war. “Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj” is on Netflix and features the first late night host who is both Indian-American and Muslim.

Fans of “Grey’s Anatomy” might recognize the nominated show “Killing Eve,” which stars actress Sandra Oh, who appeared in the ABC medical drama

“The Good Place” was nominated in the entertainment category. Actors Kristen Bell and Ted Danson star in the NBC-produced comedy.

Dean was happy that a weekly show about people wanting to better themselves and each other was nominated. It’s “such a simple concept that is so beautifully executed in today's climate,” he said.

The New York Times’ five-day-a-weeknews podcast, The Daily, is nominated in the radio and podcast category, along with another podcast, Caliphate, which conducts a year-long investigation into ISIS that features local reporting.

The 78th award ceremony will be held on May 18 in New York City. Investigative reporter and producer for HBO and contributing writer for The New Yorker Ronan Farrow is set to host. Farrow is known for his stories that uncovered the sexual-assault allegations of Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

The Peabody Awards are hosted by the University of Georgia Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication. They were originally created to recognize excellence in radio, and then broadcasting. The award is named after George Foster Peabody, an investment banker and long-time UGA benefactor.