1607129_hpt_SLC-1.jpg

A emergency shower caused flooding in the Science Learning Center on March 8, 2019. Students were asked to evacuate. (Photo/Henry Taylor: htaylor@randb.com)

Spring break came early for some students Friday when the Science Learning Center partially flooded, leading to canceled classes and tests.

An emergency shower in the building was pulled, which led to the evacuation, according to an Archnews announcement from the University of Georgia. The SLC will remain closed Friday and all classes and events inside the building are canceled, according to the announcement.

Freshman biochemistry and molecular biology major Suma Yarabarla said she was waiting for her chemistry class to start when an announcement over the SLC’s PA system told students and staff inside the building to evacuate. The announcement attributed the evacuation to water issues and a potential electrical hazard, Yarabarla said.

Taylor Underwood, junior psychology major, said she was preparing for a biology midterm when the SLC was evacuated. She said she saw water starting to come out from electrical outlets.

“The main staircase was completely flooded,” Underwood said. “There was water coming through the ceilings in some of the classrooms on the second floor.”

The class of more than 200 students will be taking their exam the week after spring break. Underwood said overall, she thinks the students are “pretty grateful” for the delay.