In a special session of the Senate on Tuesday Jan. 31, the University of Georgia Student Government Association approved a resolution formally supporting international students in the aftermath of President Trump’s executive order on immigration.

The resolution passed with 38 in favor, four opposed and four abstentions.

Resolution 29-14, coauthored by Gabby Reyes, the director of external affairs, and Tifara Brown, the director of student advocacy and outreach, acknowledges the “2,718 international students from 124 countries at the University of Georgia.”

According to the resolution, “the 29th Administration of the Student Government Association stands in support of all students, especially international students, and affirms their value, rights, and safety on our campus.”

The resolution also specifically seeks to echo the statement released by President Morehead on Jan. 30, “international members of the bulldog nation: ‘You are valued; you are supported; and you are an integral part of this vibrant university community.’”

Morehead followed up his initial statement with a second more personal release that afternoon. It is this second statement which the resolution refers to.

Brown said that they felt it was their responsibility as student leaders to speak in support of these groups and join with President Morehead in speaking out.

“The best thing for us to do right now is to provide a stable platform for the UGA community to express to administrators and their leaders what they need right now,” Brown said.