180212_rmw_parking004.jpg

A parking ticket sits on the hood of a car in the Legion Pool parking lot, W06, in Athens, Georgia, on February 12, 2018. (Photo/Rebecca Wright, http://rebeccamariewright.com/)

University of Georgia students, faculty and staff can have their parking citation of $50 or less waived through the Food for Fines program to be held on Thursday, April 18 at the Tate Surface Lot from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Eligible participants can have their fines waived by donating ten 14-ounce canned goods at the event.

The event is a partnership led by the Student Government Association with the Northeast Georgia Food Bank and Transportation and Parking Services. Senators Charley Claudio and Nadav Ribak presented legislation at the final Senate meeting detailing the event.

“[My colleague Nadav and I] got this idea because a lot of other universities had similar programs,” Claudio said. “UGA was really lacking in this department, so we were like, ‘Let’s get this to be a thing at UGA,’ and here we are today.”

More information on the event can be found at the Food for Fines page on the SGA website.