190227_JEB_SGADebate_0023.jpg

The SGA Debate was hosted by SGA and Georgia Political Review on Wednesday, February 27, 2019. Executive tickets ACT and Empower discussed their campaign platforms and initiatives. (Photo/Jason Born)

On Monday night, the Empower executive ticket appealed to the SGA Supreme Court regarding the March 3 decision of the Elections Committee. Empower accused the Georgia Political Review Editor and SGA debate moderator Tarun Ramesh of acting as an unregistered staff member in seeking an endorsement for ACT.

In a majority opinion delivered by Associate Justice Evan Oliver, the Supreme Court ruled that the “Elections Committee was correct in its decision to find no violation of the Elections Code by the ACT Executive Ticket.”

SGA Supreme Court Chief Justice Margaret Shin penned a concurring opinion, writing that the “issues were compounded by the deficiencies of the Elections Code, namely its lack of clarity, which made it possible for the Elections Committee and the Empower executive ticket to vastly differ in their understandings of the Code.” Shin agreed with the majority in its conclusion that the Elections Committee “did not err.”

Associate Justice Nia Waller dissented, writing that the text messages sent by Ramesh clearly constituted campaigning under the SGA Election Code.

“I do believe that the Election Committee in this circumstance should have answered this action with disciplinary action,” Waller wrote in her dissent.